If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you may be able to sponsor your parent or grandparent to become a permanent resident. If you sponsor your parent or grandparent to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must make every reasonable effort to provide for your own essential needs and those of your parent or grandparent. You are responsible for supporting your parent or grandparent financially when he or she arrives. As a sponsor, you must make sure your parent or grandparent does not need to seek social assistance from the government.
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident,
- Be sponsoring your parent(s), and/or your grandparent(s),
- Meet the minimum necessary income level based on the number of people in your household,
- Take full financial responsibility for twenty years from the time they become permanent residents.
- must be your mother, father, grandfather or grandmother,
- must successfully complete medical, criminal and background screenings.